Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tunda Pani

Coming to India, I always knew it would be hot in the summer. And let me tell you it is- hot hot hot!!! But, I have discovered that the wonderful thing about summer here is that there are fun places to go with ice cold water (in Hindi, cold water is "tunda pani").
Twice I went to a place called "Robber's Cave".  It is so fun! You start out walking through a creek between two caves. Then you start climbing over some rocks and get to more adventures. It was a little scary because I kept feeling like I was going to slip and there was one quite large rock that I just couldn't seem to climb over. Luckily my friend helped pull me up. But mostly it was just fun! It was an adventurous day outdoors and now I can feel the burn in my muscles! It was really so refreshing because this whole hike was shaded by the caves. And walking through cold water doesn't hurt! It was also fun b/c I went with lots of Indian friends!



The second time I went to Robber's Cave, I also went to a pool afterwards. I had no idea that there are pools in India but we found one! The water was kinda gross but it was really fun. I had really been missing being able to swim in a pool so I felt very fortunate that we found one. Most Indians don't know how to swim so it was really funny watching them in their inner tubes in a pool still grabbing onto me b/c they thought they would drown. Some of my friends kind of knew how to swim so I was able to teach them some more.  It was a fun and refreshing day!
Having fun at the pool

My third summer water time was at a river in a nearby hill station. This was probably the coldest water I have ever swam in but it was amazing because it was so hot outside. It was perfect because we could put our bottom half in the water and our top half in the sun- the perfect combination. And it was a beautiful location!

The after school slum program where I help out took the kids to a water park last week, so I went to help as well. The kids were so excited to be going to this water park- they had talked about it for weeks beforehand. The water was so cold that I was not hot at all the whole day- even though it was a blazing day. It wasn't a big waterpark but they had some of those really tall slides, like you might find on a cruise ship. I convinced one of the girl to go, even though she was scared. After she went the first time, she convinced me to go with her the whole rest of the day haha! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this day. 

These water escapes have made the summer heat slightly less scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment