Monday, May 7, 2012

Cultural Blunders

So one time I went to my new friend's house and met her mother and brother. After a while I asked for the bathroom, so the brother leads me to the room. I walk in and as I close the door, he has a weird look on his face, but I don't think too much of it. Then I look around. There is no toilet! I'm frantically trying to figure out how this is the bathroom and if I'm supposed to pee in the drain in the corner or something. So, finally after a minute of confusion I just walk out, thinking "we'll be home soon, I'll just go then". Well, an hour has passed and we are still there and I'm about to burst. So I finally ask the mom, "can I show you something?", lead her to the bathroom, and say, "umm where's the toilet?". To which she responds by pointing to the next room with a "she's dumb" look on her face. It turns out that in India, you must always ask for the toilet to actually get a toilet. The bathroom is where you take baths. Haha! I will never make that mistake again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment